Bloop, Bloop, Shop! A Page Speed Tweaking Service for your Shopify Store
This Shopify theme has no tweaks. On slow connections, it takes a while before you see which site you’re on.
This Shopify theme was tweaked. You can already see low-res versions of the images as it loads
The Speed Tweak
On slow mobile connections, or in slow data zones, your Shopify Store might be loading too slowly for your visitors. They tap to your site, wait a bit, it’s too slow for them, and they go back. Lost sale.
A slow-loading site will also affect your search rankings.
Some of the things you’d have to do to fix it:
- Simulate the site loading at slow speeds: there’s going to be the first screenful. You want that to quickly answer the questions “Am I at the right spot?” and “Is it worth the wait?”
- See where the hiccups are by breaking down the loading sequence.
- Handle that first high-quality image: display a fast-loading, pertinent graphic while it loads. An
.svgimage that looks like the outlines of the real image, or a centered sharp logo atop a blurry (at first) image.
- Reduce the size of images to be faster to load at a similar quality level.
- Reward those who stuck with the first page with really quick subsequent taps or clicks: if each tap is a drag, bye-bye. If each tap is quick, your buyer’s free to move about and do business.
Q. How come Shopify doesn’t provide themes made for this?
Shopify already does a lot to help with speed. They host your images (and styles and scripts) on servers around the world (via a CDN) for fast speeds. They provide an easy way to serve just the right image for the device. Its themes are built for the balance between speed and good looks. And Shopify also gives tips on how to improve your page-loading speed, but for those, the ball’s in your court.
My services: here’s what you’ll get:
By the end of our time together, you’ll have:
- Increased the speed of the most frequently-visited entry pages of your Shopify store. The home page, product pages, catalog pages, blog pages.
- Tweaked your workflow for when you post new products, to ensure a fast experience. After our conversations and what you’ll learn from our time together, you’ll think of new tricks to get it right every time from now on.
- Found someone to help you tweak more aspects of your store, like the wording, the sequence of messages, based on the psychology of your buyer.
- Gotten a more detailed look at how your visitors experience your site. You’ll get some stats about the site loading experience, and a way for you to check on your own later on.
Let’s have a first call
By the end of that first 30-minute call, you’ll have:
- Obtained a sense of how your site can be improved,
- Obtained some tips on anything you can do quickly on your own,
- Obtained a sense of how we can work together.
$90 USD for a first 30-minute (helpful in itself) intro call.